2006 Vancouver Island Health Authority – Division of Ophthalmology, Department of Surgery, Victoria, British Columbia
2006 Vancouver Island Health Authority – Division of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, Victoria, British Columbia
2006 Northern Health Authority – Division of Surgery, Fort St. John, British Columbia
2005 – 2006 Faculty and Instructor in Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri
2005 – 2006 Staff appointment with full Operating Room privileges at St. Louis Children’s Hospital and the Center for Advanced Medicine, Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri
2005 Missouri State Board of Registration for the Healing Arts – Unrestricted Medical Licence, Missouri, USA
2005 College of Physicians & Surgeons of British Columbia, Medical Licence, British, Columbia, Canada
DEGREES & THESES
2007 American Board of Opthalmology – Certification (Diplomate ABO)
2005 – 2006 Fellowship in Pediatric Ophthalmology & Strabismus, Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri, USA
2005 Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada Ophthalmology Certification
2000 – 2005 Residency in Ophthalmology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
1996 – 2000 Doctor of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
1996 Senior Thesis: Department of Psychology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
The Rat Somatosensory Cortex: An Anatomical Substrate for Bilateral Integration
1993 – 1996 Bachelor of Science, (with distinction) Faculty of Biochemistry, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
ACADEMIC HONOURS & AWARDS
2003 Winning Presentation at the UBC Department of Ophthalmology 19th Annual Research Day, Vancouver BC
1997 Medical Research Council of Canada Summer Research Scholarship, University of Toronto
1996 Fellowship to the University of Rochester, Rochester, New York.
Workshop of Perception, Plasticity and Action (Exclusive Canadian Representative)
1995 N.S.E.R.C. Summer Research Scholarship in Neuroscience, McMaster University
1994-1996 Dean’s Honour List, McMaster University
1993-1996 Canada Scholarship
1993-1997 PPG Canada Undergraduate Scholarship
2002 Basic Science Course in Ophthalmology, Stanford University School of Medicine.
2003 University of Ottawa – Refractive Surgery, Ophthalmic Instrumentation and
Cataract Surgery Course / Wet Lab
1999 Elective in Pediatric Ophthalmology – Dr. Creig S. Hoyt, University of California -San Francisco, USA. Elective in Neuro-Ophthalmology – Dr. William F. Hoyt & Dr. Jonathan C. Horton, University of California – San Francisco, USA
TEACHING & LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE
2008 Manpower Committee – Section of Ophthalmology, Division of Surgery, Victoria, BC
2008 Continued Medical Education Co-ordinator – Section of Ophthalmology, Division of Surgery, Victoria, BC
2004 – 2005 Chief Resident(shared)– UBC Ophthalmology
2001 – 2005 Residency Training Committee – UBC Ophthalmology
1996 – 1997 Teaching Assistant- Psych 2G03, Neuroscience Laboratory Course, McMaster University
1997 Faculty of Radiology – Investigation of medical education in radiology, University of Toronto
1995 – 1998 Senior Lab Member – Neural Organization & Plasticity Laboratory, McMaster University
2005 American Academy of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus – Candidate Member
2003 American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
2002 College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia
2001 American Academy of Ophthalmology
2001 British Columbia Medical Association
2000 Canadian Ophthalmological Society
1999 Student Interest Group in Neurology,American Academy of Neurology
1996 – 1999 Ontario Medical Association
1996 – 1999 Faculty for Undergraduate Neurosciences, Washington, D.C.
1995 – 1999 Center for Neural Systems, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
1995 – 1999 Neural Organization and Plasticity Laboratory, McMaster University, Hamilton,Ontario
JOURNAL ARTICLES & ABSTRACTS
· Pegado, V.D., Lyons, C.J., Poskitt, K. & Rootman J. (2005) Infiltrative Orbital Fibrosis Syndrome. Ophthalmology. (Submitted)
· Trepel, C., Duffy, K.D., Pegado, V.D., & Murphy, K.M. (1998) Patchy distribution of the NMDAR1 subunit immunoreactivity in developing visual cortex. The Journal of Neuroscience. 1998; 18(9):3404-3415
· Murphy K.M,. Jones, D.G., Pegado, V.D., Fenstemaker, S.B., Kiorpes, L., & Movshon, J.A. (1998) Spacing of cytochrome-oxidase blobs in normal and strabismic monkeys. Cerebral Cortex. 1998; 8: 237-244
· Murphy K.M., Trepel, C., & Pegado, V.D. (1996) Non-uniform distribution of the NMDAR1 Receptor Subunit in Kitten Visual Cortex at the Peak of the Critical Period. Molecular Vision, [On-line],2, 9, http://www.emory.edu/MOLECULAR_VISION/v2/murphy
Published & Presented Abstracts:
Pegado, V.D., Tychsen, L & Lueder, G. (2006) Augmentation of Symmetric Horizontal Strabismus Surgery with Botulinum Toxin. American Association of Pediatric Ophthalmology & Strabismus. Keystone, CO.
Pegado, V.D., Lyons, C.J., Poskitt, K. & Rootman J (2004) Infiltrative Orbital Fibrosis: A new subtype of Orbial Fibrosis. Canadian Ophthalmological Society. Vancouver BC.
· Pegado, V.D., White, V, Lee, T.L. & Holland, S.P. (2004) Post-LASIK Ectasia: Case Series, Histopathology, and Outcome Following Penetrating Keratoplasty. ASCRS (San Diego, CA)
· Pegado, V.D., Lyons, C.J., Poskitt, K. & Rootman J (2003) A Review of Orbital Fibrosis Syndrome at UBC. UBC Department of Ophthalmology Annual Research Day (Winning Presentation), Vancouver BC.
· Pegado, V.D. & Beattie CW. Irreversible Ocular Toxicity in Patients Assessed by the Antimalarial Follow-up Program. (2002) UBC Department of Ophthalmology Annual Research Day. Vancouver BC.
· Pegado, V.D., Eckert, M.J. & Murphy, K.M (1999) Pyramidal Neuron Development in the Cat Visual Cortex under Normal or Monocular Visual Experience. Proceedings of the University of Toronto Undergraduate Medical Research Day. Toronto ON
· Pegado, V.D., Duffy, K.R., Trepel, C. & Murphy, K.M. (1998) The Effect of Early Monocular Deprivation on the Distribution of NMDAR1 Subunit in the Visual Cortex. Proceedings of the University of Toronto Undergraduate Medical Research Day, Toronto ON
· Eckert M.J., Pegado, V.D., Duffy, K.R., & Murphy, K.M. (1997) Development of pyramidal neurons in cat visual cortex following normal or monocular visual experience. Society for Neuroscience.
· Duffy, K.R., Trepel, C., Pegado, V.D., & Murphy, K.M. (1997) Loss of NMDAR1 subunit in isual cortex following early monocular deprivation is retinotopically localized. Society for Neuroscience.
· Pegado, V.D., D. Froc, E. Spironello, & K.M. Murphy (1996) Rat Somatosensory Cortex: An Anatomical Substrate For Bilateral Integration. Society for Neuroscience, Washington, DC
· Murphy, K.M., Pegado V.D., S.B. Fenstemaker, D.G. Jones, L. Kiorpes, & J.A. Movshon (1996) Distribution of cytochrome-oxidase blobs in the visual cortex of normal and strabismic monkeys. Investigative Ophthamology and Visual Science (Suppl.)
· Trepel, C., Pegado, V.D. & K.M. Murphy (1996) Patchy distribution of NMDAR1 receptor subunit in kitten visual cortex. Investigative Ophthamology and Visual Science (Suppl.) Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (Fort Lauderdale, Florida)
· Ritvo, P.G., Pegado, V.D. et. al. Multiple Sclerosis Quality of Life Inventory. The Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers Health Services Research Subcommittee. National Multiple Sclerosis Society
· Pegado, V.D., Baryshnik, D., & Loh, A. MCCQE Review Notes & Lecture Series – Neurology (2000). Faculty of Medicine-University of Toronto (15th edition)